DigiBC recognizes that our members are having an array of business challenges during this crisis, ranging from a few issues to very significant business threats. As your trade association, we are working to ensure our industry, as diverse as it is, comes out of this in the most positive way possible. Our weekly updates will have pertinent information on government policies, industry responses, and tips on getting through this challenging time. Please feel free to contact us if there is something you think should be included or if there's an issue that your business would like help with. We are here for you! Please note, the info from each of our weekly updates gets consolidated into our COVID-19 Member Resources.
Week of June 5, 2020
Government Announcements / Policies / Funding
Startups Among Companies to Benefit From New $961.4-million Fund - June 2
Canada’s six regional development agencies will focus $961.4 million in federal relief funding on companies and industry sectors critical to the economy in each region. The funding is aimed at small and medium-sized enterprises that have been unable to access the government’s existing support measures.
BC Strengthens Federal Commercial Rent (CECRA) Program - June 1
BC businesses eligible for rent support from the federal government will be protected from evictions as the BC government issues a new order under the Emergency Program Act (EPA).
Innovate BC's Tech Co-op Grant Program
Tech companies of up to 500 employees are eligible to receive wage subsidies to hire a B.C. co-op student. Each employer is eligible to receive a maximum of four grants per program year valued at up to $5,000 each.
Facebook Small Business Grants Program
Facebook Canada has launched a new program to support businesses with nearly $3.5 million in grants and credits available for small to medium-size businesses across Canada. Application deadline has been extended to June 7.
- Don't be too quick to abandon that office - May 28
- Level Ex upgrades surgery games to virtually train doctors to treat COVID - May 27
- Hollywood is playing around with gaming tech - May 31
- YouTube now the top mobile game discovery path for kids - June 2
- Gamemakers inject AI to develop more lifelike characters - May 27
- Congratulations to DNEG on the recent BAFTA TV Craft Award nomination for the work they did on Chernobyl.
- Women in Animation Vancouver’s ACE (Animation Career EXCELerator) Program is designed to advance the careers of women in the animation industry by giving them a key credit in the creation of their very own short film, TV proof of concept or web series pilot, and providing mentorship and training along the way. The application deadline has been extended to June 15. Click here for more info.
- Applications are open for the Irving K Barber BC Scholarship Society's Women in Technology & Indigenous Women in Technology Scholarships. They are giving out 15 awards valued at $10K each, with two being dedicated to women of Indigenous ancestry. Deadline to apply is July 6. Click here to learn more.
- DigiBC has arranged for our network to receive a 20% discount off the current pricing for the Venture Summit Virtual | Connect, taking place from August 4-6. The conference is dedicated to showcasing VCs, corporate VCs and angel investors committed to funding venture backed, emerging and early-stage companies. Click here for more info.
Signal Boosting / #GiveBack / How Can I Help?
We at DigiBC are incredibly moved by the generosity we’ve witnessed as we all struggle to try to make sense of terrible racial injustice in the US and around the world. We read that Asian Canadians have been targets of racial violence in our own towns and it feels like we have lost our way. As Mr. Roger’s mom once told him, "In the darkest times, look for the helpers. There are always helpers." Thank you to all those who are doing the work against racism, whether personal or political, and to those who put their time or treasure into this profoundly important work. Together we can, and will, make a difference in the fight against racism. ~ Brenda Bailey, Executive Director, DigiBC
- Klei Entertainment felt it was important to help out where they can during this moment in US history and have donated $1 million USD toward helping fight for equality, civil rights, and racial justice. Funds will be going to ACLU and NAACP.
- Electronic Arts is contributing $1 million to organizations dedicated to the fight for racial justice in the US and against discrimination around the world. Beginning with the Equal Justice Initiative, the NAACP Legal Defense & Educational Fund, and with more partners to come. Additionally, they will double any employee donations made to these organizations via its YourCause program throughout the month of June.
- GamesIndustry.biz has put together a comprehensive list of organizations and initiatives supporting racial equity in the global games industry. From funding and training to online communities and advocacy groups, there is a growing number of resources encouraging racial diversity in the game industry.
Companies Currently Hiring
- Finger Food ATG - list of open positions
- SkyBox Labs - list of available vacancies
- Hyper Hippo - list of open positions
- Kabam Vancouver - list of job openings
- Mainframe Studios - list of open roles
- Next Level Games - list of job openings
- Relic Entertainment - list of current vacancies
- Blackbird Interactive - list of available roles
- WildBrain Studios - list of open positions
- Atomic Cartoons - list of job openings
- Phoenix Labs - list of available roles
- Kano Apps - list of open positions
- Animal Logic - list of job vacancies
- Cinesite - list of current open positions
- Neon is looking for a 3D Lighting Artist
- Sony Imageworks is looking for a Software Engineer - Shader Writer
*More listings can be found on the DigiBC Job Board
Upcoming Virtual Events of Interest
- June 11: Working From Home in the Animation Industry
- June 23: NGPX: New Game + Expo
- June 25: WIMDI x WIGeh - How to Own Your Expertise & Start Speaking at Events
- August 4-6: Venture Summit Virtual Global | Connect
- August 4-6: Game Developers Conference Summer | Online
- August 25-29: Gamescom Online
- September 19: Game Devs of Colour Expo (accepting speaker & game submissions)
- October 27-30: XDS 2020 | Adapt
CanExport SMEs ***Now Adapted for Virtual Conferences***
Apply online for up to $75,000 in CanExport SMEs funding to cover up to 75% of your international market development activities. Canadian small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) may choose up to (5) export markets to target, where your company has no or minimal business.