DigiBC recognizes that our members are having an array of business challenges during this crisis, ranging from a few issues to very significant business threats. As your trade association, we are working to ensure our industry, as diverse as it is, comes out of this in the most positive way possible. Our weekly updates will have pertinent information on government policies, industry responses, and tips on getting through this challenging time. Please feel free to contact us if there is something you think should be included or if there's an issue that your business would like help with. We are here for you! Please note, the info from each of our weekly updates gets consolidated into our COVID-19 Member Resources.
Week of May 15, 2020
Government Announcements / Policies / Funding
- Additional Support for Large & Medium-Sized Businesses - May 11
The federal government will offer support to those businesses affected by COVID-19 to help protect middle class jobs and safeguard the economy.
- Government Announces Help for Employers to Meet Labour Needs - May 12
The federal government launched a new, temporary policy that will drastically reduce the time it takes for a temporary foreign worker to start a new job. A worker who is already in Canada and secured a new job offer can get approval to start working in the new job, even while their work permit application is being processed.
- BC Centre for Disease Control COVID-19 Survey - May 13
Tell the BCDC about your experience during the pandemic. This survey is the first of several activities that will strengthen the government's understanding and response to the impacts of COVID-19 to date (social, economic, mental wellness and community wellness). Survey link is open until May 31.
- Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy Extension - May 15
Finance Minister Bill Morneau announced that the government will extend the CEWS by an additional 12 weeks to August 29, 2020. Extending the program will give workers greater confidence that they will continue to get the support they need during these difficult times.
- Prime Minister Announces Support for Research Staff in Canada - May 15
The Prime Minister announced there will be $450 million in funding to help Canada’s academic research community during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- K-12 Students to Have Optional In-class Instruction Starting June 1 - May 15
Parents will have the choice of bringing their children back to class on a part-time basis as part of BC’s Restart Plan, with the goal of returning to full-time classes in September 2020, provided it is safe to do so.
- Arcades vs COVID-19: How communities can save small businesses - May 14
- B.C. startup offers 'contactless screening' as workplaces reopen - May 13
Signal Boosting / #GiveBack / How Can I Help?
- East Side Games throws down the gauntlet! They pledged $1,000 to the DigiBC Fundrazr campaign with Backpack Buddies. Can your company match them? Click here for more info on this fantastic cause!
Companies Currently Hiring
- Finger Food ATG - list of open positions
- SkyBox Labs - list of available roles
- Hyper Hippo - list of open positions
- Kabam Vancouver - list of job openings
- Mainframe Studios - list of open roles
- Next Level Games - list of job openings
- Blackbird Interactive - list of available roles
- WildBrain Studios - list of open positions
- Atomic Cartoons - list of job openings
- Phoenix Labs - list of available roles
- Kano Apps - list of open positions
- Animal Logic - list of job openings
- Cinesite - list of current open positions
- Neon is looking for a 3D Lighting Artist
- East Side Games is looking for a Senior Game Designer
- Sony Imageworks is looking for a Software Engineer - Shader Writer
*More listings can be found on the DigiBC Job Board
Upcoming Virtual Events of Interest
May 20 - Legal Primer for the Creative Tech Sector: Returning to the Workplace
Presented by EA and Fasken, this leadership-level webinar is for current DigiBC and Anim&VFX member companies. Not a member but would like to attend? Click here for details on becoming one.
May 21 - ACM SIGGRAPH Webinar: Working From Home in VFX
Youth Innovation Showcase Events
May 19 - Bridging the Physical and Digital Worlds Through VR/AR
May 21 - Building Your Idea: Learn to Code & Create Your Own Virtual Reality World
May 26 - Build Yourself into the Social Fabric of a New Post-Corona Economy