DigiBC recognizes that our members are having an array of business challenges during this crisis, ranging from a few issues to very significant business threats. As your trade association, we are working to ensure our industry, as diverse as it is, comes out of this in the most positive way possible. Our weekly updates will have pertinent information on government policies, industry responses, and tips on getting through this challenging time. Please feel free to contact us if there is something you think should be included or if there's an issue that your business would like help with. We are here for you! Please note, the info from each of our weekly updates gets consolidated into our COVID-19 Member Resources.
Week of May 1, 2020
Government Announcements / Policies / Funding
- B.C. Emergency Benefit for Workers Update - May 1
Online applications opened today. This is a tax-free, one-time $1,000 payment for B.C. residents whose ability to work has been affected due to COVID-19.
- Provincial Funding to Improve Rural Internet Connectivity - April 24
To help communities during the COVID-19 pandemic, targeted funding will give people in rural, remote and Indigenous communities in British Columbia access to faster internet services.
- BDC Co-Lending Program Finalized - April 24
BDC announced that it has finalized the details of its new $20-billion program, as part of the BCAP previously announced by the Prime Minister on March 27, 2020.
- Support for Students and New Grads Affected by COVID-19 - April 22
The Prime Minster announced support of nearly $9 billion for post-secondary students and recent graduates. The plan will help provide the financial support they need this summer, help them continue their studies in the fall, and help many get the experience they need to start their careers.
- Ottawa unveils $1.2-billion in pandemic funds for startups, small business - April 17
- The reason Zoom calls drain your energy - April 22
- How Blizzard, Ubisoft & other studios went remote in the time of COVID - April 24
- Hollywood quietly turns to video game tech to restart movie shoots - April 26
- Ayogo completes $7.5M Series B financing - April 28
- GDC Summer becomes a fully-digital event - April 30
- Serena Williams and Naomi Osaka among the tennis stars who will compete in a livestreamed Mario Tennis Aces tournament - April 30
- Congratulations to Josh Nilson (CEO, East Side Games) and Ryan Peterson (CEO & Co-founder, Finger Food ATG) on the recent announcement of being a finalist in the Person of the Year category for the 2020 Technology Impact Awards.
Signal Boosting / #GiveBack / How Can I Help?
- The Coalition has donated 200 Xbox One X consoles to the Gamers Outreach. They will then be distributing the hardware to children's wards in US hospitals.
- Small Business BC has created a digital marketplace website where you can find out about and support some of the amazing small businesses still operating in the province.
- A quick reminder that the DigiBC Fundrazr campaign with Backpack Buddies is up and running for the next three weeks. Schools in the province are suspended due to COVID-19, and children who relied on school lunches are going hungry. In light of this, the creative tech industry is stepping up to help. Click here to join us and contribute to this fantastic cause!
Companies Currently Hiring
- Hyper Hippo - list of open positions
- SkyBox Labs - list of available roles
- Finger Food ATG - list of open positions
- Kabam Vancouver - list of job openings
- Mainframe Studios - list of open roles
- Next Level Games - list of job openings
- Blackbird Interactive - list of available roles
- WildBrain Studios - list of open positions
- Atomic Cartoons - list of job openings
- Phoenix Labs - list of available roles
- Kano Apps - list of open positions
- Animal Logic - list of job openings
- Cinesite - list of current open positions
- East Side Games is looking for a Senior Game Designer
- Sony Imageworks is looking for a Software Engineer - Shader Writer
*More listings can be found on the DigiBC Job Board
Upcoming Virtual Events of Interest