Instructor, Interactive Storytelling in Extended Reality (ISXR) (featuring Unity content)
This job is expired.
The Division of Continuing Studies is interested in developing long-term relationships with superior instructors who have high professional standards, excellent communication skills, enthusiasm, and a commitment to creating learning experiences immersed in adult education principles. We are seeking a professional who desires the opportunity to share their knowledge and experience in the field of Interactive Storytelling in Extended Reality. Our learners are seeking the knowledge and skills to expand their career options to enhance their current knowledge, skills, and abilities. We are especially interested in candidates who can demonstrate the development of creating VR and AR apps/platforms, focusing on Unity XR.
- Minimum 3 years experience with demonstrated subject matter experience and expertise in the field of Extended Reality
- Demonstrated proficiency in Virtual and/or Augmented Reality Production with a focus on interactive storytelling using Unity Engines
- Experience with projection mapping and/or Motion Capture Production preferred. Please provide examples of your work
- Advanced experience with Unity, including Unity certification and familiarity with Unity certification curriculum
- Undergraduate degree in a related field (Computer Science, Engineering, etc.); Masters’ degree in interactive media, animation, games, digital arts, or related field; or equivalent industry experience is preferred
- Industry experience with the ability to illustrate your teaching with real life examples
- Previous teaching experience (designing content for a course, training or presentation) is preferred
- Instructional experience with adult or non-traditional learners is considered an asset
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and facilitation skills
Extended Reality (XR) portrays a variety of immersive technologies, including Virtual Reality (VR), Augmented Reality (AR), Mixed Reality (MR), and technologies that have yet to be envisioned. This course introduces you to eXtended Reality (XR) including XR design principles, lighting and management of virtual worlds, visualizing and creating interactive virtual environments, and XR scripting in Unity.
This course will introduce and explain the technologies that make XR possible and walk you through creating VR and AR apps/platforms, focusing on Unity XR. You will learn how Unity supports the various components of a VR platform, including tracking, teleporting, interacting with virtual objects, positional audio, and more. XR is a constantly evolving field, and we’ll show you the forecast of VR and AR in the digital world.
ISXR is an industry-relevant micro-credential delivered over six weeks. This part-time program combines a blend of online synchronous (real-time) teaching, following an accelerated, intensive Bootcamp-style model, combined with asynchronous learning activities, assignments and resources. The ISXR micro-credential program will quickly provide learners with in-demand skills and competencies to support augmented and virtual realities in British Columbia’s rapidly growing creative technology industry. This course also provides an overview of ethics and privacy issues related to research uses of administrative data.
Upon completion of this course, learners will:
● Understand the capabilities and practical applications of XR
● Create scripts in multiple development environments
● Understand the XR interactive storytelling process
● Create your own VR or AR Idea in Unity
● Understand the foundations of 3D-based interactive applications and the fundamentals for designing for different eXtended Reality (XR) platforms
● Analyze the technical viability of XR projects
● Import, manipulate and save objects in XR projects
● Understand the fundamentals of C# for XR programming to add more complicated interactions in your XR projects, such as input handling, collision detection, and conditional statements
Instructional hours: 36 (6 hours for 6 weeks)
Format: Online Hybrid (Synchronous via Zoom and asynchronous through Brightspace)
Dates: Development, January – April, 2022; Delivery, May-June, 2022 (with possibility of additional offerings)
Pay Rate: $6250 plus 4% vacation pay, plus one-time stipend of $3,000 plus 4% vacation pay for development
Continuing education has been an integral part of the University of Victoria since its inception in 1963. Today, the Division of Continuing Studies (DCS) provides adult and continuing education programming in co-operation with UVic faculties and community partners. We offer a comprehensive portfolio of programs in a range of academic disciplines, using diploma, certificate, degree, and other programming models to serve adult, part-time, international, and geographically dispersed students.
06 Jan 2022
05 Feb 2022
Please submit a cover letter and current resume (in pdf format) to:
Division of Continuing Studies
University of Victoria
The University of Victoria is an equity employer and encourages applications from women, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, Aboriginal Peoples, people of all sexual orientations and genders, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of the University. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, in accordance with Canadian Immigration requirements, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.