DigiBC recognizes that our members are having an array of business challenges during this crisis, ranging from a few issues to very significant business threats. As your trade association, we are working to ensure our industry, as diverse as it is, comes out of this in the most positive way possible. Our weekly updates will have pertinent information on government policies, industry responses, and tips on getting through this challenging time. Please feel free to contact us if there is something you think should be included or if there's an issue that your business would like help with. We are here for you! Please note, the info from each of our weekly updates gets consolidated into our COVID-19 Member Resources.
Week of April 24, 2020
Government Announcements / Policies / Funding
- Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance (CECRA) - April 24
The federal government reached an agreement in principle with all provinces and territories to implement the CECRA program. This will lower rent by 75% for small businesses affected by COVID-19 for April, May and June.
- B.C. Emergency Benefit for Workers Update - April 23
Online applications will open on May 1. This is a tax-free, one-time $1,000 payment for B.C. residents whose ability to work has been affected due to COVID-19.
- Companies, Societies & Co-operatives Now Able to Meet Electronically - April 22
A temporary change under the Emergency Program Act will allow electronic meetings during the province's state of the emergency. The order helps corporations hold annual or special general meetings.
- Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS) Update - April 21
The Prime Minister and the President of the Treasury Board, Mr. Jean-Yves Duclos, announced that employers will be able to apply starting April 27, using their CRA My Business Account.
- NRC-IRAP Innovation Assistance Program (IAP) - April 17
The federal government announced $250 million in funding for the Innovation Assistance Program (IAP) to assist small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs). The IRAP IAP provides a wage subsidy to eligible employers for up to 12 weeks. SMEs that are pursuing technology-driven innovation and have been unable to secure CEWS funding are eligible to apply. The call for applications will close on April 29 @ 11:59PM EDT.
- Travis Scott's virtual concert on Fortnite sets a record - April 24
- Technology loans giving more children the opportunity to learn at home - April 18
- More online options for students to support social, emotional well-being - April 17
- Surge in video games linked to need for connection - April 16
- Mutua Madrid Tennis Open has online video game and fundraiser tournament - April 6
- A quick reminder that our DigiMusic 2020 program officially launched last week and we are accepting submissions until the end of May. It's the perfect project for any high school student who is stuck at home and looking for a creative challenge that blends music with technology! Further details can be found here.
Signal Boosting / #GiveBack / How Can I Help?
- The Digital Technology Supercluster is supporting Canadians in the fight against COVID-19. It is investing $60 million to deliver solutions to some of the biggest health and safety problems created by the virus. The Supercluster has advanced four projects that are each making a meaningful contribution to the health and safety of Canadians.
- One of the four Supercluster projects is run by Finger Food Advanced Technology Group. Alongside their partners, they are developing a new tool for decision-makers to better forecast emerging pandemics. By predicting regional needs and allowing for fast and effective planning we can have targeted deployment of resources.
- DigiBC has just set up a fundraising platform on Fundrazr and launched our first campaign with Backpack Buddies. Schools in the province are suspended due to COVID-19, and children who relied on school lunches are going hungry. In light of this, the creative tech industry is stepping up to help. Click here to join us and contribute to this fantastic cause!
Companies Currently Hiring
- Hyper Hippo - list of open positions
- SkyBox Labs - list of available roles
- Finger Food ATG - list of open positions
- Kabam Vancouver - list of job openings
- Mainframe Studios - list of open roles
- Next Level Games - list of job openings
- WildBrain Studios - list of open positions
- Atomic Cartoons - list of job openings
- Phoenix Labs - list of available roles
- Kano Apps - list of open positions
- Animal Logic - list of job openings
- Cinesite - list of current open positions
- East Side Games - is looking for a Senior Game Designer
- Sony Imageworks is looking for a Software Engineer - Shader Writer
Upcoming Virtual Events of Interest