DigiBC recognizes that our members are having an array of business challenges during this crisis, ranging from a few issues to very significant business threats. As your trade association, we are working to ensure our industry, as diverse as it is, comes out of this in the most positive way possible. Our weekly updates will have pertinent information on government policies, industry responses, and tips on getting through this challenging time. Please feel free to contact us if there is something you think should be included or if there's an issue that your business would like help with. We are here for you! Please note, the info from each of our weekly updates gets consolidated into our COVID-19 Member Resources.
Week of May 22, 2020
Government Announcements / Policies / Funding
- Eligibility Criteria Expanded for Canada Emergency Business Account - May 19
The Prime Minister announced an expansion for CEBA to include many owner-operated small businesses, These changes will allow more small businesses to access interest-free loans to help cover operating costs during a period when revenues have been reduced, due to the pandemic.
- Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance (CECRA) Program - May 20
Details on the application documents and updated criteria for small businesses are now available. This program will provide forgivable loans to eligible commercial property owners, who in turn will give a rent reduction of at least 75% for April and May (retroactive), and June, to their small business tenants. Applications can be submitted starting May 25.
- Additional Support for Indigenous Community Support Fund - May 21
The Prime Minister announced $75 million in new funding for Indigenous organizations providing services to Indigenous peoples in urban centres and off-reserve.
- CMF COVID-19 Info Hub for Screen-Based Industries
Canada Media Fund has put together a list of assistance programs for workers and businesses in Canada’s screen-based industries, as well as news from the CMF and pandemic-related headlines.
- Recording of DigiBC's Webinar on Responding to the COVID-19 Crisis - May 15
PwC and BDC presented information on how businesses can access the new financial measures that were recently put in place by government and institutions.
- How the Dauntless community taught Phoenix Labs about trust - May 22
- Nexon CEO: COVID-19 has spotlighted gaming's importance - May 21
- Gamescom will be all digital: new shows and digital devcom in the works - May 18
- How the COVID-19 pandemic is changing the mobile games market - May 18
- Respawn marks its ten-year anniversary with a new Vancouver studio - May 18
- Electronic Arts CEO: We're in no hurry to return to our offices - May 18
- Post-pandemic workplace will be more tech intensive - May 15
- With live sports on hold, Adidas turns to video games - May 13
- A quick reminder that the submission deadline for our DigiMusic 2020 program is Wednesday, May 27. It's the perfect project for high school students stuck at home looking for a creative challenge that blends music with technology! Further details can be found here.
Signal Boosting / #GiveBack / How Can I Help?
- Shout out to Atomic Cartoons/Thunderbird Entertainment for scoring a number of Leo Awards nominations. They received six for The Last Kids on Earth, three for Hello Ninja, and three for Molly of Denali which also earned a Peabody Award nomination.
- Congratulations to Bardel Entertainment and WildBrain Studios for their 2020 Daytime Emmy nominations. Bardel received two for The Dragon Prince, and WildBrain had a total of eight for their shows, Carmen Sandiego, Snoopy in Space, and Peanuts in Space: Secrets of Apollo 10.
- We have two more days left on our Fundrazr campaign with Backpack Buddies. Can you help us reach our goal of $5,000? We're so close! Click here for more info on how to contribute to this fantastic cause.
Upcoming Virtual Events of Interest
June 1-3: VR/AR Global Summit Online Conference
June 23: NGPX: New Game + Expo
August 4-6: Game Developers Conference Summer - Online
August 25-29: Gamescom Online
Companies Currently Hiring
- Hyper Hippo - list of open positions
- Blackbird Interactive - list of current openings
- Finger Food ATG - list of available roles
- SkyBox Labs - list of open roles
- Mainframe Studios - list of current openings
- Next Level Games - list of available positions
- Kabam Vancouver - list of open roles
- Atomic Cartoons - list of current openings
- Phoenix Labs - list of open roles
- WildBrain Studios - list of job openings
- Animal Logic - list of available roles
- Cinesite - list of job openings
- Kano Apps - list of open positions
- Neon is looking for a 3D Lighting Artist
- East Side Games is looking for a Senior Game Designer
- Sony Imageworks is looking for a Software Engineer - Shader Writer
*More listings can be found on the DigiBC Job Board